When the boards are down, we'll be here. When this is down we'll be weeping in the dark.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A snag with GoDaddy...

Did some more digging, and the economy package (which is about $3.99/month max.) does NOT support PERL (which is the language our boards are written in) Getting new boards would not be hard, I know a couple off hand that are easy to install and such...but we would have to get new boards and start fresh. We COULD go up to the deluxe package, which is $6.99/month max. (the reason I say max is because they knock off a small amount per month if you purchase 12 or 24 months right away, which we probably do at least 12 months, if not more. The cost per year would be around $45 for the economy package (this includes the cost of the domain too) and probably no more than double that ($90) for the deluxe package. Now if we had as little as 9 Nuns paying, that would only be $10 per person. If we had even more than that, the price goes down. It is fully up to you guys, I will do what you want, but I would love to see us get the deluxe deal. We get a lot of great option, practically unlimited bandwidth, e-mail addresses if we wanted them, blogs, the whole works.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to switch regardless. I leave it up to the masses to decide which package to go with. I will pay either.

9:02 PM

 
Blogger angela said...

I'll pay! :)

I think we may as well go with the better one... because for a whole year, $10 (tops) isn't all that much... even I can afford that...

9:45 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A couple of points -

No one has paid me for renewing the site back in August. I don't want to be a dick and bring this up because money problems can cause rifts in any frienship, but I'd hate to stick Andy with a $90 bill after having the experience of no one paying me for our mere $35 one.

Are we going to be able to make this move? As I already posted, not even half a year ago we had planned on moving, we made plans three months before we lost our contract. Nothing ever got done. I certainly don't want to pay for another site, and lose our domain name else where, just becuase once again we're all dragging our feet on the move.

For what it's worth we all could have had @stopthatnun.com e-mail addies for a while, I offered them a couple times and got no takers.

We need to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again, especially if we actually get popular. While all of us will keep coming back to the site, casual people that some how find out about our web-site are just going to leave and never come back if they get the error message they just got.

However.

All of the concerns I posted are just that. Concerns about whether or not we can handle it.

12:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.

Erik has a point about collecting money. Regardless of how good a friend someone is, the person who pays the whole fee gets screwed.

Do whatever you need to do, I'll pay my end immediately of what needs to be paid and hope everyone will because 1) I love STN and 2) I love Andy and don't want him to pay the whole thing.

Maybe we should be lame and make a stipulation like you can't go back onto the boards until you've paid Andy or mailed the check to pay Andy. I don't know. It's an idea.

Anyway.

I'm sad that the poor poor boards are down. :(

*puts a bandaid on the boards*

12:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*exceeds his bandwith*

6:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen you since you renewed it Erik. I'll pay you once I do.

Andy suggested setting up some kind of paypal account or something so people could just pay in that way and not have to worry about an exchange of cash, which I think is a good idea. He can post more details on that.

I think we should be completely ready for a move before we do one, so that once one site comes down we are immediately ready to put up the other one.

I think getting the Godaddy service is a good way to make sure this doesn't happen again since we would have more bandwidth than we know what to do with.

7:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's go with GoDaddy. Set up the PayPal account, tell me where to go, and I'll pony up my part of the credit. It'll suck having to recreate some of the old threads, but it may be worth it.

8:06 AM

 
Blogger AndyMan said...

Erik, I will make sure that as soon as the move is finished, you will get reimbersed for the renewal in August. And yeah, I know it is only our fault and not 2M's. I DID want to move, I was the biggest pusher of doing it all, and I dropped the ball on that. But with this incident, it is evident that we can't allow it to happen again.

This is going to go well, no worries :)

8:42 AM

 
Blogger angela said...

Yeah, let me know how much, and now that I have money again, I can chip in. I'm one of those people that lives paycheck to paycheck, so I need to know that something needs to be budgeted in my paycheck, and I wasn't sure from the last time if the switch was actually going on. But let me know and I'll get the money where it needs to be...

9:12 AM

 
Blogger AndyMan said...

I am going to talk to Kirsten later today to make sure that we can foot the bill right now, knowing full well we will get a good majority of the money back. I just set up the STN PayPal account, and once the site is back up, I will get a link to everyone so you can pay using that if you would like. It would makes things a whole lot easier anyways. (Unless you are paying me, then I will have you pay using either my PayPal or just pay me directly...but more on that later :))

9:44 AM

 
Blogger AndyMan said...

You WILL get paid either way, you don't have to worry.

9:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see you guys often enough to jsut pay Andy directly.

as long as i remember.

and somethign funny just happened at Wal-Mart, i'd tell you guys, but its just not the same on here

10:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*runs around screaming*

10:40 AM

 
Blogger AndyMan said...

Pro-tip to TO: Next time, finish the job.

10:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i found this thing at Wal-Mart called "Bourbon Street Chicken". I bought one, i hope its what i think it is, i'll let you guys know later.

its almost class time, i gots to roll.

10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you Andy

10:53 AM

 
Blogger AndyMan said...

anonymous loves me, yay!

11:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i swear that i gave my money for the site renewal to andy at the draft party, along with 5 bucks for the football pool

11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone who can make new threads, make one where people who are willing to pay can post so that we know who is willing. Everyone in that thread will simply post once saying if they are willing to aid in paying for the STN site.

1:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Andy: Wade did give me money, for whatever reason I never gave it to Erik (since he was the one that paid for it)

All will get sorted out, I will make a new post very shortly.

1:59 PM

 
Blogger Chris Leslie said...

Ah, so we do have to start over with the boards. Oh well. More bandwidth makes it worth it.

Next time I see you Erik, you will get money from me. How the hell I forgot about this is beyond me, I'm sorry for not paying you yet.

I can't wait for the rebirth of StopThatNun!

2:20 PM

 
Blogger angela said...

*can't wait for stop that nun to come back so i have something to do besides homework*

2:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought by upgrading to the more expensive godaddy package we would be able to keep the boards. Is this not true, Andy?

3:20 PM

 
Blogger AndyMan said...

We SHOULD be able to keep the boards, I am not sure where people are getting that we might not, heh. With the better package, it will at least support PERL, we should, if all goes well, be able to keep the boards.

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home