Stop That Nun Television: ... cumload!
Alright, so because the boards went down I haven't had a chance to see the general reactions to the show ideas being tossed around.
Once again, I'd like to have a format locked by the time we hit the Fall Break for a good chunk of our wayward Nuns that are outside the area.
Here's what's been pitched:
1) Seth's idea of a sketch show similar to Mr. Show.
2) Erik's sitcom similar to Seinfield and Friends.
3) Gibby, James and Andy's mockumentary about three inept filmmakers similar to American Movie, but scripted.
4) James' idea for a guy waking up in alternate dimensions every episode similar to Quantum Leap.
5) Gary's idea to make a Kane and Murodch show.
Any others? Otherwise let's pound out the pros and cons.

24 Comments:
I like Erik's idea a lot and I think it'd probably be the easiest to write and do, since it's always easiest to write about what you know... and we're (mostly) all college students. Although I think James' idea and the mockumentary could both be a lot of fun to write too... but I like Erik's idea best, I think...
7:03 PM
I agree that it's easy to write what you know. I say we stick with Erik's idea for now. Maybe James' ideas could be ideas for future movies (especially the mockumentary, although I guess we already did one).
7:33 PM
i need to hear more about
3) Gibby, James and Andy's mockumentary about three inept filmmakers similar to American Movie, but scripted.
4) James' idea for a guy waking up in alternate dimensions every episode similar to Quantum Leap.
5) Gary's idea to make a Kane and Murodch show.
before I give my input.
9:05 PM
*was excited by the misleading title of this, noticed there wasn't anything of... substance... in here, wanders away*
12:18 AM
*humps Katrina*
How's THAT for substance??
8:33 AM
I like Erik's idea as well. It would be the easiest to write for, plus the shooting format would be much more linear than say doing an action show.
As far as an "Underground" place, the Basement Brewhaus is definitely out of the question (since it's being demolished). The other alternatives we have are the cafe in the Library, or a location in the basement of Debot.
Personally I would say going with the basement of Debot would be our best bet, many people hang out there and it would be a perfect atmosphere for Erik's idea of a show.
2:30 PM
you could have the pilot being the cast finding a new "Underground" place since the old one got demolished
2:44 PM
How about the basement of the Convent with Satan? :-P
3:05 PM
and garlic burgers
7:53 PM
I don't know if I want the pilot to be something cheesy like that. It might be a good flashback episode or something. For the pilot I really just want the show to be how it would be on any normal day.
As far as a location, I'd like to see anything you guys have in mind, but naturally you guys know the area and James has been great to us for locations so I trust a lot of your judgements. I think you Stevens Point kids know the feel I'm going for on this :)
As far as division of labor, as I said earlier, I think it'd be best if James and I produce this. I posted before about how in television a lot of time producers have a big influence on the direction of the show in terms of writing. Since James is our main contact at the station and has proven himself an invaluable producer in the past, I think giving him a producer credit would be ideal, and as the (co)creator of the show, traditionally I would get the other one.
But as far as directors, writers of specific episodes, editors, cinematographers, camera ops, actors, etc... I 'm open to any ideas we have on how to decide those. For the pilot we may want to use the original Kane & Murdoch crew (perhaps sans Seth at the cinematographer role since he'd have to make it back to Point during the school year and I doubt he'd be down for that).
Since we aleady have a solid base of writers (all of us) and directors (many of us), I'd say that we need to look into recruiting from Point editors, cinematographers and actors.
By far the biggest commitment we need aside from James and I at producers is a solid four (or whatever final character count we go with) actors that will always be there for us.
So if we for sure want to go with my sitcom, then I'll start organizing what we need to do, with James be our enabler, getting all of what needs to be done, done with the cooperation of all you fine folks.
3:18 AM
I'd throw my hat in as actor or editor.
8:07 AM
I'd definitely work on some shows over Winter Break, if we're able to use the studio. Other than that, I can always help with writing.
8:45 AM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Seth.
9:10 AM
How odd.
1:41 PM
It was spitefulbuddha!
2:03 PM
oh no! He's infiltrated the blog!
2:26 PM
Alright, I leave until Monday for someone to voice desent in doing the as of yet unnamed sitcom that I originated that we'll all develop.
If no one has a problem with it then I'll employ all of you to begin brainstorming. I'd like to have a couple of writing sessions over the Fall Break of our beloved astray Nuns, aside from poor Wade who doesn't get a fall break.
Also start deciding, as some of you already have, in what ways you'd like to contribute besides writing. During Fall Break I'd like us to decide on a final format of sorts for characters, location and aesthetics as well as the ideas for a couple of scripts so we can get working on those and be shooting right when winter break gets started or so.
James and I will start looking at this thing much more logistically very soon, but I won't bore you all with that talk. However, if you'd like to assist James and I and get a little exposure into some of what goes into producing a TV show, let me know and I'll try to keep you in the loop.
Naturally this will be a bit unorthodox because of our situation, but we'll try to run this as professionally and effeciently as possible.
I can't stress enough how excited I am to be working on such an ambitious project with all of you guys. I think this will be a real blast and allow more Nuns to become more active in the creative roles of production as well as learning more about the technical aparatus we work with.
10:27 PM
I would really like to help as much as possible, mainly because of the fact I will be around the area all the time, but also because I think this is going to be awesome and I want to be as much of a part of it as possible :)
7:24 AM
I'm down with the sitcom and all, but would you please stop calling that weekend Fall Break? Luke's the only one that has "Fall Break". The rest of us are setting aside a weekend for this. I guess what I'm really trying to say is, "What's the real date of this gathering?" Seriously, I can't access the old boards to find out. Is it the weekend of the 14th or the 21st?
8:45 AM
It's Brit and Angela's Fall Break too, and I posted previously about the DVDs:
"These will be done in time for the Nuntoberfest gathering on October 14th."
8:48 AM
Awesome. I'll ask off. Now I just have to hope that Triangle isn't filming that day.
9:02 AM
I hope I can get off for it too. But I'm on my second week straight of no days off, they're starting to owe me a little...
9:15 AM
James, we'll discuss a bit more of the logistical side of this thing today at Football. I slept about 4 hours tonight at work so I'll be able to stay up for a while :)
7:13 AM
*bought a new belt*
8:02 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home